Wednesday 4 April 2012

The Average Person

Apparently, I am above average. This might be a bizarre thing to say, but at 5'5.5", I am about half an inch taller than the average British woman (please correct me if I'm wrong). I always find this hard to believe - at school I was one of the shortest, even in sixth form when everyone had finished growing. There were girls there hitting six foot and above, and although at university I've found that most people aren't that tall, I still can't seem to find many who are the same height as me.

This has left me with a few questions:

Firstly, why were there so many girls at school who were so tall? Not only in my year, but in most of the years below me. Girls four years younger than me would tower over my above-average frame, which I always found slightly disconcerting. Why was it that at that one school there was such a high concentration of tall people?

The second question is one that came up when I went shopping a couple of months ago. I was looking for jeans, but as always I couldn't find any that properly fit. In many shops that sell jeans by leg length and waist measurement, the shortest leg is 30 inches. 30 inches!!! As a person of average height, a 30 inch leg is FAR too long, and looks ridiculous. In other shops, where trousers are categorised into UK sizes of 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 etc, they often offer small, regular and long leg lengths. But even the small ones are too long. *Sigh* This is the only time that I resent my average stature. My leggy younger sister used to mock my height, in a kind way of course, and I'd always retaliate: I can wear insanely high heels and not look stupid, I always have leg room on buses and trains, I never need to complain about being too squashed in the car, and I always feel dainty next to boys, especially being the perfect height to hug. I LIKE my height. I just don't like the abnormal leg lengths of jeans. Someone, somewhere, needs to sort this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment